Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Slap In The Face

So Ford is going to revive the Taurus namesake, slapping it on the slow selling and generic and pitifully under-designed Five Hundred. The fact that they closed the Atlanta assembly plant, whose workers poured their hearts and souls into building the best quality vehicles in the Ford Production system, is bad enough. It was perhaps a necessary measure to save a poorly managed and under-marketed company, and we have accepted that. But to name one of the worst mistakes Ford has thought up for a passenger vehicle with the nameplate that Atlanta workers gave blood, sweat, and tears for, to label a car that is being built by a plant that brought quality numbers down consistently when they were building the Taurus, and to do it for the sole purpose of boosting sales is nothing short of sacrilege.
I support Ford in many of their decisions. They support my family, and have done so for two generations. I believe that Ford products are among the best in the world. I have never owned a vehicle that wasn't a Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, or Mazda. But I have to have a say about this ultimate insult to a group of workers who built the top selling passenger car Ford had, a car that was largely ignored by those in charge even though people were still trying to buy them even when they were off the open market. In doing this, I hope Ford realizes that they are spitting in the face of 2000 laid off former employees and retirees. I hope they can sleep knowing that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

okay, so I'm a chevy girl all the way but I agree with you here...people gave their lives to that plant and in essence that car and to be laid off just so that another Ford product, one much less successful, could be re-named for the product they lived for, is really sad. Great blog...kinda got me heated.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home